PER SERVING RATIO: 3:1
TOTAL FAT: 33.9g
NET CARBS: 11g
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES ■ COOK TIME: 2 HOURS ■ TOTAL TIME: 21⁄2 HOURS
Get ready to turn up the heat with this five-pepper beef chili recipe. Made with bell peppers, poblano peppers, jalapeño peppers, serrano peppers, and some extra-spicy habanero peppers, this chili is great topped with cheese and sour cream. If you prefer a lower level of heat, reduce the amount of habanero peppers to one, or omit them completely.
Don’t forget to wear gloves, wash your hands after handling the peppers, and be careful not to touch your face, eyes, or other sensitive skin.
FOR THE CHILI
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups diced onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 poblano peppers, diced
3 serrano peppers, minced
3 jalapeño peppers, diced
2 to 3 habanero peppers, minced (adjust for heat level; optional)
3 pounds 80 percent lean ground beef
1 cup tomato paste
2 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes
1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups dark beer
1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark chili powder
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
FOR THE TOPPINGS
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
To make the chili
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until tender.
- Add the bell peppers, poblano peppers, serrano peppers, jalapeño peppers, and habanero peppers (if using) to the pot. Mix well. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the peppers and onions. Crumble with the back of a spoon while browning for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes to the pot. Mix well.
- Add the beer. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the chili boils, cover and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for 1½ hours.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin. Stir to incorporate. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chili with the shredded cheese and sour cream. Garnish with cilantro (if using).
FRUGAL TIP: Buy ground beef in large amounts, like five pounds, then portion into one-pound packages and freeze. Defrost and cook as needed. Many grocers will have a monthly sale on keto staples like ground beef and bacon, so keep an eye out in your weekly paper for the best time to buy.
Get This Recipe and Many More with This FREE Keto Cook Book...